So this patch has a really unfortunate history; I started working on it last summer, I was all gung-ho enthusiastic about DW dev, felt comfortable with all the tools including GitHub, and was ready to have a go at delving into the actual code rather than what I've been doing up to now, which is just patching styles and themes. I struggled a bit with the learning curve, but I really felt like I was making progress. I had to redo the logic because it turned out that I'd misunderstood the spec of what I was supposed to be implementing, but that was fine, and helped me to improve my understanding of how DW works.
And then I got some review comments asking me to improve the appearance of the eventual HTML to be printed, but unfortunately that happened just at the beginning a few months of being really busy at work and abroad for a couple of weeks, which meant I lost momentum for actually fixing the cosmetic bits of the bug. Anyway I eventually managed to complete the required CSS fiddling, right in the middle of typhoon Haiyan, meaning that fu
was understandably rather distracted from reviewing the tail end of low-priority patches, and I didn't exactly want to nag her about it, so my final version kind of languished until this week. During that time I didn't quite find the motivation to start a new bug, so by now I've forgotten most of the skills and knowledge I was starting to pick up last summer.
Anyway, the good news is that kareila
did a Current Contributors
post, where I saw that I hadn't committed anything since June last year. That prompted me to ask fu
if she'd forgotten about the last bits of my patch, and she very kindly checked it over and merged it. The less good news is that I have picked just the moment to get back into dev when our bug tracker has died
, making it hard to remember what was on my to-do list or search for bugs that will usefully stretch my meagre coding abilities. I don't want to let that block me, so maybe I'll go back to doing styles bugs for a bit, because at least they're documented in dreamscapes
I'm a bit worried about this, really. Without a shadow of a doubt this is partly my fault; I could have prodded more, I could have got started on a different bug while I was waiting for code review, I could have documented stuff better rather than just waiting until final version was merged, which I kept hoping would be "soon". But I think it's also likely to be a problem for a lot of newbie devs, as evidenced in the Contributors list; only 5 people have committed code in 2014, and only 20 or so since I got derailed from dev work last summer. ( let me see what I can reconstruct of what I learned from this bug )
Anyway, here's what actually got committed: Bug 5041 Include comments search in S2 search module
, which is the above plus creating a bunch of
s in the search form so that I could style it with CSS, and then some fairly crude CSS to make the search form reasonably non-ugly whether or not the tickybox is present and whether the form is displayed horizontally or vertically and how much space it has. For someone who spends a lot of time working on the pretty on DW I am a really bad web designer. But anyway, that bit was just fiddly, I pretty much already knew how to make each element its own CSS class or ID and then use trial and error until I get CSS that makes it look how I want it. But I am so very glad of the time we spent early in 2009 rationalizing the CSS for all the journal styles so that when I introduce a new feature I don't have to do this bit separately for every possible journal style on the site. And deeply grateful to ninetydegrees
for all their ongoing hard work in keeping that rational, consistent system in order in the five years since.